The SAS synthesis phase was initiated with a workshop in Woods Hole, June 7-9, 2023. Almost 40 participants brainstormed ideas for synthesis papers and how to establish an online SAS atlas of the Artic Ocean (as has been done for all the other oceans in the WOCE atlas).
Carin Ashjian hosted the workshop at the top floor of the Clark building at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute with a magnificent view of the Atlantic Ocean. A selection of the wonderful images taken by photographer Leonard Sussman on the Healy cruise to the North Pole were displayed during the workshop.
On the first day of the workshop, Øyvind Paasche introduced the background of the SAS initiative and the need to move forwards. All country representatives gave overviews of cruises contributing to the SAS data collection, and suggestions for pan-Arctic themes to study. Several participants presented results from individual cruises. The second day was used for discussions in break-out groups and in plenary. On the third day, we compiled a list of synthesis papers with assigned working groups and agreed on the road ahead. The full SAS synthesis workshop report describes this in more details.
- Introduction by Øyvind Paasche
- Japan by Shige Nishino
- US by Carin Ashjian
- Norway by Agneta Fransson
- Denmark by Rafa Gonçalves-Araujo
- Italy by Maurizio Azzaro
- Germany by Heidi Kassens
- Korea by Kyoung-Ho Cho
- Canada by Kumiko Azetsu-Scott
- Sweden by Pauline Snoeijs-Leijonmalm
- Jackie Grebmeier (benthic studies on Healy)
- Lee Cooper (water column and sediments on Healy)
- Seth Danielson (physical oceanography on Healy)
- Cedric Magen (methane dynamics from shelves to basin)
- Shige Nishino (Beaufort Gyre shrinkage and acidified low oxygen-water)
- Jee-Hoon Kim (biological oceanography on Araon)
- Melissa Chierici (ecosystem survey and ocean acidification in Barents Sea)
- Bill Williams (sea-ice and Beaufort Gyre observations)
- Yun Li (modeling approaches of ecosystem change)
- Paul Berkman (shipping and fishing in the Central Arctic Ocean)
A list of planned synthesis papers was compiled at the workshop.